All departments and boards work together to simplify the permitting process. Although some processes may seem redundant and / or time consuming, they are necessary for the welfare and safety of the town. Anyone planning a project, residential or commercial, is welcome to come in and discuss aspects of the proposed project and hopefully alleviate any delays that could occur when the project is in motion.
The Building Department is responsible for all residential and commercial permits that are submitted including but not limited to:
- Sheet metal / mechanical for all projects requiring duct work
What Requires Building Permits
Under the Massachusetts State Building Code a building permit is required for:
- Any and all new construction
- Change of occupancy in a building or structure.
- Change of use
Along with reviewing and processing the permits, inspections are necessary to document all work completed is in compliance with the Massachusetts State Building Code and all other applicable codes. Continuous changes made by the state are putting more demands on the inspectors.
INSPECTIONS NEED TO BE SCHEDULED BY 4PM THE PREVIOUS DAY
BUILDING INSPECTIONS: TUESDAY AND THURSDAY 10AM to 12PM
ELECTRICAL INSPECTIONS: MONDAY, WEDNESDAY AND FRIDAY 3PM to 5PM
PLUMBING/GAS INSPECTIONS: TUESDAY, WEDNESDAY & THURSDAY AM
Along with all the building aspects and permits, our department is also responsible for Zoning Enforcement. Our role is to enforce the Town of Douglas Zoning Bylaws (see below) as well as any and all Special Permits and Variances with conditions that may be granted by the Zoning Board of Appeals and / or Planning Board.
Permit Application Forms
- Building Department fees REVISED 4-2-19
- Residential Building Permit Application 2
- Commercial Building Permit Application form
- Electrical permit
- Gas permit
- Plumbing Permit
- DebrisDemo permit
- Sheet Metal Permit 2
- Wood, Pellet Stove Permit
- Sign application
- Pool barrier requirements
- Homeowner warning
- Work Requiring a HIC or CSL license Revised August 8 21 2018_0
- ICC Building Valuation Data February 2020
- Single-Family Duplex Plan Submittal Instructions